YouTube to VLC INFO

Discussion in 'Live TV | Shows, Films & Radio' started by Hustler, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Hustler

Hustler Super Moderator

9 out of 10 chances are that you have VLC Media Player installed. VideoLAN's VLC media player can be used for many more things than just playing almost any media file you might find. You can stream videos, audio from the internet or locally, you can convert files from one format to another, download videos and much more.

This article covers two sections:

• Downloading Videos (YouTube)
    • Converting between file formats
    Please note that I am using VLC 2.0.5 Twoflower in this article.

Downloading Videos (YouTube):
    I'll be using one of James' rubycasts videos on YouTube for the demo.

• Copy the URL of the video from the address bar in the browser.

[​IMG]

• Open VLC and navigate to Media->Open Network Stream

[​IMG]

• Paste the URL in the input area and click on the dropdown button next to Play and choose Convert . Make sure that the URL has http:// before it.

[​IMG]

• Click on Browse and choose the location where you want to save the video. I've chosen to save it on my Desktop. You also have the option to choose the file format you desire. I am going with the default option of H.264 container for video with mp3 for audio. After making the necessary changes, click on start.

[​IMG]

• You should be able to see VLC buffering and converting the video.

[​IMG]

• Once the whole processing is done, you'll see that the media player doesn't have to seek any further and has stopped. The file has now been downloaded and is ready to be played.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Note: This method also allows you to download YouTube videos that have age restrictions on them!

Converting between media formats:
    For demo's sake I'll be using the file we just downloaded - James' video on YouTube. I'll be converting the video file to an audio file in this example. You have a plethora of options to convert between formats depending on your needs.

• Open VLC and navigate to Media -> Open (advanced)

[​IMG]

• In the tab that says File , browse and select the source file. Then in the dropdown next to the Play button, choose Convert

[​IMG]

• In the next dialog, choose the destination file by clicking on Browse. In the Settings section, you can choose the format that you want to convert to. Click Start after you are done being satisfied with the settings.

[​IMG]

• You should see VLC processing the file, once the seeking is complete, the conversion should be completed.

[​IMG]
    Final notes:
    And that's it. You can practically grab anything from the internet with it's right URL with VLC. For grabbing audio streams like live internet radio, replace the URL with the URL of the radio stream.

To use VLC to screencast, take a look at Nathan's post - Screencasting with VLC

Jinsy Said Thank You
  2. Jinsy

Jinsy New Member

works A ok! thanks hustler dude

3. The_Duke

The_Duke Super Moderator

That's a very good thread starter and i was thinking of posting similar to this but you beat me too it, i can verify this method works, has done and still does now and in the near future and possibly beyond

thanks for posting!

The_Duke