NordVPN

Manchester United fan pockets £36k after betting ENTIRE INHERITANCE on Liverpool winning...

Discussion in 'Sports News' started by StreamBot, Jul 13, 2020.

1. StreamBot

StreamBot Moderator

A Manchester United fan has breathed a huge sigh of relief after betting a whopping £55,000 on Liverpool to win the Premier League.

Tony Ward, from Bradford, had been waiting for Jurgen Klopp’s men to seal their first top-flight crown in 30 years after gambling his inheritance in March.

[​IMG]
    Liverpool have been the best team this season by a long shot
    Getty Images - Getty

The 55-year-old collected his £91,000 winnings after the Reds were crowned champions last month, having placed the bet at 4/6 odds.

Ward inherited £55,000 when his mum, Rose, passed away in 2017, and despite being a lifelong Red Devils fan, he took the plunge to whack the money on bitter rivals Liverpool to win the league.

He told The Sun: “Liverpool were always looking like they could win the title. I picked them after a long, long debate.”

Ward, who calls himself an ‘armchair’ United fan, had an agonising three-month wait for his bet to come in after football was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

He said: “I would have got my stake back, I think, if the season had been cancelled. But that would have been unfair.

LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS

NEWS

Man City's Euro ban overturned, Spurs confirm death of Aurier's brother

DIRE

‘Spurs lucky no fans are in the stadium… they wouldn't stand for this’ - Jose slammed

latest

Arsenal news live: Gunners leading race for defender, Arteta gives Ozil update

as you were

Man City ban overturned: What it means for Chelsea, Man United and Leicester

ain't broke

Solskjaer set for 27-year first? How Man United should line up against Saints

Dig

Liam Gallagher says 'sit down p***flaps’ and mocks 'chumpions' Liverpool as ban removed

latest

Man United news: Man City ban, Pogba's Greenwood vow, Solskjaer to emulate Sir Alex

Action

Zaha calls for change after police arrest 12-year-old for sending him racial abuse

crisis

What's happened to Leicester City? Champions League failure could spark exodus

condemn

Sheffield United to support McGoldrick as he reveals racial abuse on Instagram

“Liverpool were that far clear. They only needed six points.”

Ward also revealed he is planning for a trip abroad with his winnings, with the rest set to be stocked in his bank.

He added: “I fancy a big holiday. The rest is for a rainy day.”

Ward also claimed his mother wouldn’t have have had an issue with him risking the money with the bet.

He finished: “She wouldn’t have minded what I did with the money — not at all. She liked a flutter!

“She liked the horses. But I’d give it all back to have my mum still around.”

Continue reading...