Laptop overheating - advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jamie32, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Jamie32

Jamie32 New Member

Hi guys my laptop keeps overheating and shutting down, every few days, when im watching streams, any ideas what i can do to fix it?

2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Overheating computers can cause a lot of problems, from seemingly random blue screens to data loss. You might not even know that it’s the root of your issues, and before you know it you have a burnt-out motherboard on your hands. Let’s go step by and step and see how to deal with overheating computers. We’ll be dealing primarily with laptops, but most of the same principles apply to desktops as well.

1 - Keep the Laptop vents free from blocks and raised, a good idea is to buy a laptop mat, this allows rasing of the laptop so its not flat on a table or lap with the vents blocked which causes overheating.

2 - Most commonly, an accumulation of dust in the vents and fans through the cooling channels will be culprit in restricting air flow. Cleaning it out will work best. Turn you laptop upside-down and look at what you’ve got.

3- Place a hoover nozzle over the vents and cooler and suck out any dust particles.

4 - There are plenty of different types of batteries, and many different schools of thought on battery maintenance and life span, but one thing that seems pretty unanimous is that batteries aren’t meant to be stored at 100% or 0% capacity. I know plenty of people who buy laptops and always keep the charger in, never actually using the battery. You can definitely expect to kill your battery’s health this way, since you’re essentially storing the battery when it’s full. Bad batteries don’t just give out really quickly, they can generate heat.

5- Do not leave your laptop on 24/7 when finished and not in use, turn it off and unplug the mains, this allows the fans to reset (incognito)

6- Excessive CPU usuage, meaning if you have lots of hardware etc which far exceeding your Laptop CPU it will overheat - (Simple fix - invest in more memory cards)

Follow these steps first - if it does not fix - then i can walk you through the next steps!

3. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Overheating computers can cause a lot of problems, from seemingly random blue screens to data loss. You might not even know that it’s the root of your issues, and before you know it you have a burnt-out motherboard on your hands. Let’s go step by and step and see how to deal with overheating computers. We’ll be dealing primarily with laptops, but most of the same principles apply to desktops as well.

1 - Keep the Laptop vents free from blocks and raised, a good idea is to buy a laptop mat, this allows rasing of the laptop so its not flat on a table or lap with the vents blocked which causes overheating.

2 - Most commonly, an accumulation of dust in the vents and fans through the cooling channels will be culprit in restricting air flow. Cleaning it out will work best. Turn you laptop upside-down and look at what you’ve got.

3- Place a hoover nozzle over the vents and cooler and suck out any dust particles.

4 - There are plenty of different types of batteries, and many different schools of thought on battery maintenance and life span, but one thing that seems pretty unanimous is that batteries aren’t meant to be stored at 100% or 0% capacity. I know plenty of people who buy laptops and always keep the charger in, never actually using the battery. You can definitely expect to kill your battery’s health this way, since you’re essentially storing the battery when it’s full. Bad batteries don’t just give out really quickly, they can generate heat.

5- Do not leave your laptop on 24/7 when finished and not in use, turn it off and unplug the mains, this allows the fans to reset (incognito)

6- Excessive CPU usuage, meaning if you have lots of hardware etc which far exceeding your Laptop CPU it will overheat - (Simple fix - invest in more memory cards)

Follow these steps first - if it does not fix - then i can walk you through the next steps!

4. lisalee

lisalee New Member

i had this issue alot with my laptop and had to turn it off after a while, thanks to the admin above advise i no longer have to do that THANK YOU! :)

5. BradR

BradR New Member

Glad to hear it's fixed. If the above points don't help you fix it, it's highly advisable you go to a professional to get certain parts fitted to help reduce the heat of your laptop.

6. BradR

BradR New Member

Glad to hear it's fixed. If the above points don't help you fix it, it's highly advisable you go to a professional to get certain parts fitted to help reduce the heat of your laptop.

7. Hustler

Hustler Super Moderator

also to note, this day and age with all the apps, addons and background processes computers need alot of resource so investing in more RAM, Memory etc will give a broader ranger for CPU and not use as many resources just from one RAM base