NordVPN

‘If you’re Cristiano Ronaldo and Juventus are signing Aaron Ramsey, you’re not impressed’ –...

Discussion in 'Sports News' started by StreamBot, Jul 13, 2020.

1. StreamBot

StreamBot Moderator

Piers Morgan has thrown the latest punch in his sparring match with Aaron Ramsey, suggesting Cristiano Ronaldo was ‘not massively impressed’ when the Welshman joined him at Juventus.

Good Morning Britain presenter and die-hard Gooner joined Jonny Owen and Friends on talkSPORT this week to discuss all things Arsenal, and naturally couldn’t refusing having another pop at his old foe.

[​IMG]
    Aaron Ramsey has not made the expected impact at Juventus, scoring just four goals in 29 games for the Italian giants
    getty

Morgan was a vocal critic of Ramsey throughout his career at the Emirates, and insisted he would not be missed when he decided to leave the London club to join Juventus in a free transfer last summer.

And while the Gunners haven’t exactly been blessed in the midfield department since his exit, it hasn’t gone to plan for the Wales international in Italy, either.

Ramsey as struggled for consistency and form and battled with injury and rotation, making 29 appearances but lasting the entire 90 minutes just once all season.

It is even claimed his time in Serie A could come to an end after just 12 months, with reports linking him with a return to the Premier League already.

[​IMG]
    Aaron Ramsey has struggled for form and consistency at Juventus and could leave the club after just one season
    Getty Images - Getty

And you can’t say Morgan didn’t see it coming…

Piers spent much of his time with talkSPORT looking back on his childhood experiences as an Arsenal fan, and visiting Highbury’s North Bank terraces ‘four or five times a season’ with his Tottenham-supporting Dad, although he admits he’s got it pretty good nowadays.

He has four season tickets at the Emirates Stadium, but those are usually nicked by his kids, so instead he takes advantages of his contacts and usually watches from on high in a box, after a decent meal and a glass of wine.

[​IMG]
    Morgan is a passionate Arsenal fan, and that means he is also a very vocal critic of the side when things aren’t going well… which has quite often been the case over the last decade
    getty

He tells us about his encounters with Gunners legends behind the scenes, and about the time and he and his father shared a bottle of wine with Arsene Wenger and assistant Pat Rice in the boardroom at White Hart Lane after watching the Gunners crowned Premier League champions at the home of their rivals.

Morgan reveals that ‘special moment’ was probably the last time he spoke to he legendary Frenchman, who he hails at the club’s best and most significant manager in their history, despite being one of the most prominent voices in the #WengerOut movement as his 22-year spell in charge grew increasingly toxic.

Reflecting on Le Professeur’s long tenure, the diehard Gooner admitted he ‘used to know Arsene quite well’ but that he wished he had left after the club’s 2013 FA Cup victory, and not stayed on for the mediocre five years afterwards.

And the topic of conversation soon worked its way over to former sparring partner Ramsey…

[​IMG]
    Aaron Ramsey left Arsenal on a free transfer last summer, but he’s flopped in Italy for Juventus
    Getty

“It [after the 2013 FA Cup final triumph] would have been a much better time for Arsene to have left, and the club would be in a better place now,” he said.

“His long and tortuous goodbye now historically overlooks the glory years, which were utterly brilliant. He lost his best players and replaced them with players who weren’t good enough.

“They were good players, but we went from being a team with Bergkamp and Vieria and Petit and Adams and Bergkamp and Pires and turned into a team with Giroud and Ramsey, who are very good footballers, but they are not at the same level.

[​IMG]
    Morgan says Wenger should have left Arsenal on a high in 2013, saying his legacy at the club was tarnished by staying
    getty

“I would have ferocious debates with Arsenal fans and say: ‘In the last ten years of Wenger’s reign, how many of those players would get into Wenger’s title winning teams? The answer is none of them.’

“That said it all. We went from a team of world-beaters to a team the most of the world thought they could beat.”

Morgan and Ramsey have history.

The Good Morning Britain presenter was a vocal critic of the midfielder’s performances throughout his 11-year career at the Emirates, so much so that the Welshman refused to shake Morgan’s hand after a game back in 2015.

And, after Ramsey asked ‘who’s Piers Morgan?’ in an interview, Morgan began permanently referring to the former Cardiff City man as ‘whatshisname’.

Just bumped into Whatshisname. Offered him the hand of peace…but he declined. Fair enough. #afc #emirates

— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) April 26, 2015

On a positive note, Whatshisname had a good game today. My motivational tweets continue to pay dividends. #afc

— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) April 26, 2015

“Ramsey and I had a few little skirmishes,” he added.

“No question he was unlucky with his injury, he was certainly a good player and I’d be very happy if he came back to Arsenal and did what he did before, which was a very good squad player.

“But I always felt with Ramsey that the ego was writing cheques his footballing body couldn’t cash in. If he was the benchmark for the team we weren’t going to compete.

“He’s a very good footballer, but he’s not a top, top footballer. I have watched him at Juventus and apparently they are already looking to sell him on. He’s not had many starts.

“Look, if you are Cristiano Ronaldo and you’ve got Aaron Ramsey coming in, I don’t think you are massively impressed.

“That’s my overview of Ramsey – good player, not a great player.”

[​IMG]
    Morgan attempted to tempt his pal Ronaldo to sign for his beloved club during their 2019 interview. We wonder where that shirt is now…
    ITV

It was then suggested he should text good friend Ronaldo, who he interviewed for ITV last year, to tell him what you think, to which Piers replied: “I actually did!”

Listen in full to Piers Morgan’s Best XI with Jonny Owen and Friends on talkSPORT from 9-11am on Sunday!

Continue reading...